Friday, January 23, 2009

Embarcadero Photo Walk


This post will discuss a recent photo walk I took around the southern Embarcadero in San Francisco. For those interested, you can follow along with the route on the map above.

Ferry Building Front
Ferry Building Front; Canon 30D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6

I started at the Ferry Building; as a San Francisco native I feel slightly bad taking such a touristy picture, but it's honestly such a nice building. It would have been nicer to get closer, but without a shift lens, I would have had to tilt the camera even more.

Ferry Building Roof
Ferry Building Roof; Zeiss Ikon Nettar 518/16, Ilford PanF+

The ceiling inside is also very nice and classic. This was the first shot of the walk with the Nettar, and I'm very happy with how it came out.

Bay Bridge
Bay Bridge; Canon 30D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6

Walking down the Embarcadero to the south from the Ferry building, you get some nice views of the Bay Bridge. Not as iconic as the Golden Gate, but almost as photogenic.

Bay Bridge with Pilings
Bay Bridge with Pilings; Zeiss Ikon Nettar 518/16, Ilford PanF+

There are also some old pilings still sticking up by the shore. When I saw this print, I finally felt like the visualization and exposure lessons from Ansel Adams' books were starting to sink in, because this came out just like I wanted it to, with the dark pilings, medium bridge and water, and brighter sky.

Backlit Building
Backlit Building; Canon 30D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6

Further down is a nice red and white building, which in the afternoon is backlit very attractively. Slightly more post-processing on this than I usually do, but I'm very happy with the overall effect.

Pier Hydrant
Pier Hydrant; Canon 30D, Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Old Pier
Old Pier; Zeiss Ikon Nettar 518/16, Ilford PanF+

Even further down is a nice area with some piers; once again I was happy with how my visualization for the Nettar picture matched the result, although I'd like to crop some more of the top off.

Bay Bridege Girders
Bay Bridge Girders; Zeiss Ikon Nettar 518/16, Ilford PanF+

Returning up Main St, you get a nice view of the underside of the Bay Bridge.

Leaves & Apartments
Leaves & Apartments; Canon 30D, Canon 135mm f/2.8

Apartment Edifice
Apartment Ediice; Canon 30D, Sigma 30mm f/1.4

And some interesting modern construction.

Reflected Building
Reflected Buildings; Canon 30D, Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Finally, back on Market St, the setting sun makes interesting reflections on the office buildings.

Things I learned on this walk: 1) Trying to manage 2 cameras, 3 lenses, a mini tripod, and an exposure meter is hard; do one camera per outing instead. 2) When compensating for the exposure meter putting things on middle gray, make sure you compensate the right way; I wanted a shot down Market St with the sun setting behind the hill, but I accidentally put the buildings 2 stops higher instead of 2 stops lower! At least I did the reciprocity calculations correctly though...

No comments:

Post a Comment